Saturday, September 5, 2009

3 Languages?

It is hard to believe, but we are in the process of learning our THIRD language! Hebrew language class began this past week. After just 2 days, my mind is already tired, but in a good way! I love the challenge! I love the idea of opening up a whole new way for me to communicate with others! Translation: I love to talk in any language! :)

There are some real challenges to learning a 3rd language, especially one that is so close to your second language. I find myself pronouncing the new sounds in Hebrew as if they are Arabic. I have shouted out an Arabic pronoun during language class! Of course, the pronouns are so similar that it's both helpful and difficult. Ana is first person singular in Arabic. In Hebrew, it's Ani. :)

We attend language class 5 days per week. Upon returning home, we help the kids with their Arabic homework in a bizarre mixture of Arabic and English. Any meetings and all interactions with our neighbors and friends happen in Arabic. And when we venture into other neighborhoods for shopping, we're back into Hebrew again. Toss in a couple of English speaking friends and coworkers and you've got the perfect setting for some good language blunders. Trust me...I'm certain I'll have plenty to share!

Prayers are always appreciated. We would love these next 5 months of Hebrew study to really count! Following Hebrew we jump back into Arabic studies. I feel tired just thinking about it!

No comments: