Sunday, September 27, 2009

I'm alive! ;)

Well...it appears that it has been awhile since I last updated you all! I know, I know...you've been waiting with baited breathe hoping and praying with each passing day that today would be the day you would hear from me again! ; P Yeah...right!

But, I am alive and well! In fact, on the road to wellness...or at least better health! I am one day away from completing the Cough Potato to 5K running program. I'm not actually running a 5K in 30 minutes...but I am running for 30 minutes! That counts for something! I've lost 11lbs and several inches. I average about 1lb. a week, which I can live with! I've got a ways to go, but I'm happy to be where I'm standing today. My time in the US did a number on my weight!


What else has been going on? Well, Scot and I have been studying Hebrew full-time for the last 3 weeks! After living here for 5+ years and getting a pretty good handle on Arabic, we decided it was ti
me to tackle Hebrew. So, for the next few months we'll be language students once again. I love it! It has already opened doors for communication and I've been able to use Hebrew out and about. In fact, when we were at a local burger restaurant, the guy who always waits on us doesn't speak English. We use a confusing mix of body language, sounds, and pointing. And we never get what we want. Well, I walked up a few days ago and said, "No more! I'm going to try Hebrew." So, I ordered in Hebrew, was able to read the menu and get what we wanted all in Hebrew! I was elated! So, that's the lastest project.

I am
also assuming some responsibility with our church's relief team in the West Bank. I'll be taking over the leadership role of that team when we finish Hebrew, but right now I'm doing some planning and learning. I'm excited to be part of this ministry, and it will certainly challenge my Arabic! :)

The kids continue to thrive. It's been a slightly bumpy road
back into the Arabic school setting. In many ways, the schools here lack much of what we've come expect in the US by way of extracurriculars, but things are getting better. My kids now have a part-time art teacher and participate in art classes once a week! There is also the opportunity for Maggie and Thomas to be involved in some after school sports programs that are run by the school. We continue with music lessons and church activities, giving our kids the opportunities to experience something beyond book learning.

Scoty was apprehensive about getting back into Arabic, but has been doing g
reat! He's lovable and his teachers adore him. He's renewing friendships and seems happy when leaving for school most days. :)

We miss family and friends. Our time in the US was great! But I think it makes me miss everyone even more! I suppose that's the life we live.

I'm thinking of some kind of blog challenge to get me blogging again more regularly! Until next time, I'll leave you with a few pictures! :)

1 comment:

Ann said...

Love the pics! Also love to hear how you are all doing :) Congrats on your running program! That's super!!! As always - you are missed and prayers continue.