Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A beloved teacher passed away suddenly...

Today, during a routine tonsillectomy, a 26 year old teacher passed away. Ustaz Sharif was beloved by all who knew him. I had the privilege of sitting in on some of his 5th grade geography classes last school year. I also have had the opportunity to see him in action. He loved students. He could always be found going the extra mile, intervening in student conflicts, showing compassion and concern. He was a kind, soft-spoken man who didn't take any nonsense in his classroom. The children are heartbroken at this shocking loss.

I have a knot in my stomach as I think about just how quickly this life can end. This young man was full of life. He was the kind of teacher that makes a positive difference in the lives of his students. It doesn't seem possible that he is gone. Just a few days ago he chaperoned the school swimming trip. Just a few days ago he was walking the halls of the school. It was too soon for him to go. :( I suppose this is how death is: one day someone is here with us and the next day they are gone. I didn't have the honor of knowing him well, but I had a great deal of respect for him and looked forward to the day when he would teach my children. He was that kind of teacher.

Prayers for his family and the teachers and students at Frere School in Jerusalem are appreciated.

Rest in Peace Ustaz Sharif. You will be missed by many. :(

No comments: