Friday, August 8, 2008

Celebrating Sisterhood! SS Blog Challenge #26

This Scrapshare Blog Challenge has been brought to us by Baysmom!

Today, August 3, is National Sister's Day!

From the Holiday Insights website:

Sister's Day celebrates being or having a sister. That means a lot of us will celebrate this special day.

Sisters are truly special and unique. Sure, we may argue and fight. But, when it comes right down to it, sisters are the best, the very best.


To celebrate Sister's Day, your blog challenge is to tell us what this sisterhood here at S&S means to you. Some things to think about: What special experiences have you had here? What makes the "sisters" here special enough to come back to day after day? What would you celebrate about this community?

First, I have to say a word about my RL sister, Regina. We had a rocky start as far as a friendship goes. She's 5 1/2 years younger than me, and I'm afraid I wasn't the best big sister I could have been. As we both grew up, we just naturally grew together. We've been through the same stuff together, good and bad. She's walked through the best and worst parts of my life with me. I have seen her go from annoying little sister to one of my best friends! I can't imagine life without her now!

As for Scrapshare...well, I was led to this group by a friend during a time in my life when I was a lonely scrapper. I wasn't scrapbooking much because I don't do alone very well. At first I found SS to be a place where I could gather some new and fun scrapbooking ideas. After a few months I found the courage to share some of my own layouts and ideas too! I definitely found scrapbooking inspiration and began to scrapbook more frequently.

It wasn't long until I began to dig a little deeper into the SS community. I started to check out places beyond the scrapbooking threads. And I found a group of people sharing their lives and stories. I found a group of people praying for each other, laughing through funny times and crying through hard times. I found encouragement and joy in the threads. I started to get to "know" some people better through board posts and private messages. And I realized I was developing friendships.

When I felt like God was opening a door for a scrapbooking ministry among Palestinians, SS sisters responded in such huge ways! I began receiving encouraging e-mails and boxes full of donated material! The response from a group of women I'd never met was overwhelming!

I have found support, encouragement, and a lot of fun on Scrapshare! I share a whole lot more than scrapbooking layouts these days! I never would have dreamed that an online community would become such a big part of my life. Living far from family and all that is familiar, Scrapshare has filled in a gap. I've made real friends here. I'm so thankful someone invited me to check it out a few years ago. I often say to Scot, "Scrapshare saves my sanity!" It's been a blessing to me!

No comments: