I've come to realize that I spend too much time being my own critic. I can easily pick out my own flaws. I don't think I'm alone in this habit, I believe that we all have this same tendency.
My challenge to you is this: Tell me what your own favorite character trait/ability is. Tell me all about it and how you affect others through it. If you honestly can't pick out your own strengths then I'll give you an easy way out. Just ask the 3 people closest to you to pick one for you. Then blog about those. I'll even give you permission to quote them. I'm sure that you'll find out that you can love what they love about you...
Why is this so hard? It shouldn't be. I suppose we have always been taught not to be vain or self-centered. But often we turn that into, "Don't like anything about yourself." And that is wrong. The Bible tells us that we are God's workmanship, created for good works in Christ. He formed us. He loves us. That alone gives us value. It's okay to celebrate the good things that make me me.
What is may favorite character trait or ability? I am comfortable with people. I love people. I am energized by time spent with people. I enjoy making others feel comfortable and can ease tense situations without much effort. I am extremely sensitive to how others are feeling. If someone is nervous or uncomfortable, I can often perceive why and help make them feel better. And I am able to feel the depth of someone's emotions. I cry when they cry and can carry someone else's heartache with compassion. While I consider this a good trait, empathy isn't an easy trait to have either.

I enjoy laughing and making others laugh. I can tell a good story and take something that, on it's own, wasn't funny and make it laughable. Some may consider my story-telling obnoxious at times, but I know that it's helped to liven up meetings and parties and helped put people at ease.
So, that's it. I love that I am a people person. Scot is not, and I love and appreciate that about him too. I think if we were both extreme extroverts, we'd never survive! He is kind and sensitive, but does not always enjoy social functions and hates small talk. He has told me on more than one occasion that he is always happy to go to a party or other function when I am with him because I ease the tensions and get to know people. I give him the chance to sit back and observe, which is something he enjoys. And while he is hysterically funny and can tell a good story with the best of them, I'm happy to do 90% of the talking when we are out and about. It works for both of us.
2 comments:
Now WHY doesn't that surprise me about you Carrie?! I think that's a GREAT thing to be able to do, you, being a people person & understanding other's emotions, is something that comes across the computer "waves" also.
What a great characteristic to have. It's definitely something worth liking about yourself, after all, if you don't recognize it then you can never give credit to the Lord who blessed you with it.
Great post!
Post a Comment