Friday, August 29, 2008

Scot's Thoughts

Well, my dear blog readers, you are in for a treat! Today I am bringing to you the first edition of Scot's Thoughts. Not only is my dear husband extremely handsome , but he is also hysterically funny and witty and an exceptional writer. He did a blog entry on another blog we keep, and I thought, "Hey...I should share this one with the readers of my blog!" He is writing about the challenges we've faced in living without a car for a month while the car that we have purchased is caught up in the customs office paperwork. Enjoy. He's much more articulate then me. :) If you all enjoy this, we can make it a semi-regular happening. And check back soon to find my ponderings upon taking my youngest son to kindergarten for the first time.

Without further ado, Scot's Thoughts:
********
We are still playing the waiting game, no word back from the car dealer as to whether any progress was made in the customs office. We are actually not expecting to hear anything until Sunday (which
is a working day in Israel) or Monday at the earliest. Apparently there is a van out there with my name on it. I got a call a few days ago from the satellite tracking service that is part of the cars anti-theft system (car theft is a big problem in Israel) asking if everything was all right with my KIA. I assume that somewhere in the country the alarm was going off. I responded that I have never even seen my new KIA and that they should call someone from the company. I hope that turned out well for them.

We’ve been on foot a lot lately. Yesterday we dropped Scoty off for his first day of
school. He nearly expired on the way from the weight of his new Superman backpack fully loaded with books, but he insisted on carrying it himself most of the way because, after all, “new Superman backpack”. He went off to school without a hitch (we thank God for that) and we continued on with the rest of the family to the Beit Hanina post office, about two miles from home, to mail a belated birthday present and some other items. To our chagrin we arrived to find that the post office had been closed! We asked some passers by on the street and found that it closed about a month earlier. So we returned home with nothing to show for our trek except a little exercise. Carrie seemed a little perturbed by this since she had risen at five to get her elliptical trainer workout in and didn’t really want any unsolicited exercise.

Thankfully we live within about ¾ of a mile from the bus stop, so it’s not too hard to get around. We’ve been able to catch rides with friends to church and most of our meetings lately. We are always reluctant to do this with the kids since there are never enough seats and seatbelts for all of us. But we don’t really have many options. Thankfully many of my regular meetings as well as the markets and the kids school are all within a mile or so from home. We are praying that the car will come before Georgia begins school because the Sunshine School is quite a hoof from home. The kids are feeling a little trapped, and a little tired of walking everywhere, but I think, all things considered, we are taking this setback in stride.

Probably the most difficult part for me is just the mystery involved, no one being able to tell exactly how long the process will take. This is one of those areas where you just have to shake off your American frame of reference and say, as our new coworker Marshall is already fond of saying, “Hey, this is Israel.” Many of my scripture readings lately have been taking me to passages that speak in different was about the culmination of human history, passages from Isaiah, Ezekiel, and various places in the New Testament. In light of what I’ve been reading I think I can plant my tongue firmly in my cheek and make a comparison between the parousia or second coming of our Lord and the arrival of this new van. For both the following can be said: “(w)hen everything is ready, I will come (to)… you” (Joh 14:3), “(h)owever, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven”(Mat 24:36).

Scot

2 comments:

Traci said...

That was seriously amusing, although I do feel a tad sorry for you. I can't imagine dragging myself up to exercise that early and then having to hike around on top of it, lol.

But the scripture comparison was absolutely hilarious..

gaye said...

I have to agree with Traci. That was too funny, even though it's not funny.

I hope you find your car soon.