eorgia Kate's first day of preschool. Scoty went back last week for 2 days of orienatation. That means today was the first day they all went to school. I thought I'd shout Hallelujah! Maybe I did, just a quiet one. :) But mostly I felt nostalgic and maybe just a tad melancholy. They are growing up. They have changed so much since we left the US 4 years ago. Well, Georgia has really changed considering she didn't even exis
t! HA! Time keeps moving on and once it passes, you don't get it back.I am the first to admit I enjoy time spent away from my kids. I look forward to the return back to school just because I crave schedule and I don't do it so well on my own. I like that we know what we have to do and where we have to be at certain times. I like that the house gets quiet. At least I enjoy it for a few moments. Then suddenly it sounds too quiet.
And for some reason, Scoty entering kindergarten has hit me hard. I think because he is the most baby like of all 4 of the kids. I see him as this little boy who needs me. I watched him walk into his classroom today, the last day I could walk him all the way to his class, and I thought, "My, how big
he's gotten!" He waved and took his seat and glanced back just one more time to see if I was still there. I was. I felt a tear fall. Time passes.The new school year seems to emphasize that passage of time. A new year. A fresh start. Excitement mixed with slight apprehension in the eyes of all the children entering the school yard. There is no stopping time, no matter how much we'd like to. And for all the wishing for tomorrow, I sometimes find myself just wishing for time to stop...or at least slow down just a little bit. One more day with my kids at home.
At least until that first cry of "He's teasing me!" At those moments I'm happy to see the school hour come once again!
2 comments:
Ok, I'm sitting here with a tear rolling down my face just reading this Carrie! I will be sending mine off for their first day tomorrow. My house is going to be quiet, with only Chayli & I at home. My baby boy is going to be in 1st grade, gone as long as the "big boys" at school.
I so understand the whole, "freeze time", some days I really wish we could do that, I want them to stay exactly where they are right now. Other days, holy cow, I can't wait to get them out the door for an entire "quiet day" just for me!
Try to keep busy & know that you aren't alone in your thinking. I'll be right where you are tomorrow!
I hope they had GREAT first days, Carrie!!
Post a Comment