I arrived home on Monday evening. The trip to Texas was a good one for so many reasons. First of all, though it was sad and painful to see Uncle Tommy so sick, it was also good to be able to say goodbye. He was up and walking and interacting some, though we don't know how much he recognized us or understood what was going on. He smiled at us a lot, responding to gentle touches and kisses, and didn't mind all the commotion we brought with us. It was good to see him.
Secondly, my Na-na got to come along and say goodbye to her son. I watched her tuck his blankets in and try to make him more comfortable. He tolerated her fussing and that made her happy. I still get choked up when I think of the pain a mother goes through when saying goodbye to a child. It isn't the normal order of life and I know it must break her heart. This is the child she nursed and cared for, and when he was small, she was able to kiss away all of his hurts. It was an incredibly moving experience to be able to observe Na-na and her son.
Finally, how good it was to be with family. We didn't see them all that much during a normal year, but when we are together, it's as if no time has passed. We laugh lots and enjoy each others' company. It was my hope that our visit would bring some joy and some distraction for my Aunt Ellen and cousins during what has been a very difficult time for them. There was laughter and tears. It was bittersweet.
Saying goodbye is never easy. But it is good. And, as always, God is faithful.
3 comments:
(((((Hugs))))) and prayers, Carrie. I know it was bittersweet, but I'm so glad that it was a great trip.
Such a sweet and sad post. You are right Carrie. God is faithful and He is good. HUGS!
Oh Carrie,
this post moved me to tears! I'm so glad you were able to go see your uncle and your na-na got to go too. HUGS!
Post a Comment