Saturday, July 25, 2009

You did WHAT????

Now, nobody fall over from the shock, but I went for a little jog this morning! Yep. Outside, even. Why is that so shocking? For a number of reasons, really. Not the least of which is the fact that I'm a little more than slightly chubby and have never been a natural runner. :) Other reasons on the list include cross-cultural issues. No one in our neighborhood jogs, male or female. So, we wondered what it would be like for me to just head outside for a jog. I decided to make sure I was out and back before things really got crazy out there. I passed only a handful of people on my way.

How did this come about? First of all, I gained more than 20lbs while we were in the States. All that, and I was doing cardio 5-6x/week since February. I knew I needed to kick it up a notch. I read about my friend Joanie hitting the pavement and felt inspired. Thought maybe it was the jet lag talking, but then wouldn't you know, Joanie contacted me and invited me to join her in the challenge.

So, after careful planning, and locating one of Scot's old t-shirts that cover me sufficiently, I downloaded a recommended podcast, and off I went!

The Couch Potato to 5K run comes from Cool Running.com
and it's a great plan to work you up to running a 5K in 9 weeks. I didn't kill me, though I wouldn't say I felt great. Here's an excerpt from a message I sent to Joanie, my accountability partner:

Well, Joanie, I did it!!!!! I just got back from my first Couch Potato to 5K morning. I feel like I might die and I don't think I'll stop sweating anytime soon, but I did it...and I think I did it pretty well.

Ahhhh...the sweet smell of garbage in the morning! Seriously, I think I should get bonus points for the handicaps I face exercising outside here. No sidewalks, chewed up/half paved roads, hills to beat the band. Ever read the Psalms of Ascent? Yeah...there's a reason someone was righting about going UP to Jerusalem!

I got out of the house about 6:40, which was a little late. 6:15 should be my goal. By 7am, I was beginning to see an increase in traffic. I only saw one person I know, and I saw him while I was walking, so I don't think I destroyed my neighborhood reputation. Well, they'll just think bad things about Scot if they think anything at all!

....When I trained to run a 5K before, I never got to the point of feeling like a real runner. I completed the race, jogging the entire way, but it was a struggle for me. I'm and doubt I ever will be a natural runner, but nothing makes me feel so darn good about myself all day as running! Even while I'm dying with each heavy step, I feel good inside about what I'm doing for my body! Once I get to the 5K part (which may take me more like 18 weeks!), I might not keep running. We'll see. But to prove to myself I can do it, and that I'm worth it. It's so important to me....

Just thought I'd share my accomplishment for this morning! All that, and still dealing with some minor jet lag. Not too shabby! ;) If you are on the fence about starting something because you aren't in great shape or you think it will be too hard, I'm encouraging you to do it! If I can do it, anyone truly can! :)

2 comments:

Ann said...

Wow! I'm impressed : ) Go, Carrie, go! Hmmm - maybe I should consider this ... maybe.

CloverGirl said...

Fantastic progress, Carrie!! Keep it up.