Thursday, June 19, 2008

Can I brag just a minute?

Even if you say no, I'm going to anyway! :) Our kids finished school a few weeks ago, and we just got Thomas' report card. I'm so proud of him, I'm nearly bursting at the seams! He received honors for second grade!

Now, I'd be a proud Mama no matter what, but what makes me extra proud? He studies in Arabic! He takes all of his courses in an Arab school with Palestinian kids. He is the only child who isn't Palestinian in his class. It amazes me that he can learn so much in his second language! Here is a picture of his report card for the year! I just had to share! You'll just have to trust me that it does, in fact, belong to Thomas! His name is written right at the top in Arabic! :)

I love to hear my kids speaking Arabic. They speak it without a foreign accent. They speak it so effortlessly that it makes me jealous. It has truly become their second language. And sometimes their first. You should hear my older two arguing in Arabic!

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
I count this as a blessing from God. Not only does it make our lives here easier since my kids have acclimated to the society, but it just makes my heart soar to know that this second language is something that will benefit them for the rest of their lives!

And something that is really funny? Though the school they attend does have some French teachers who are actually from France, most are Palestinian. Thomas speaks French with an Arab accent! How funny is that?

5 comments:

Donna said...

Wow! What a fantastic achievement and in a second language too. Well done Thomas! Carrie, you must be so proud and rightly so.

Kaye said...

You can totally brag! That's an awesome report card!!

Brynn said...

WHOO-HOO, way to go Thomas!!!

Sherry said...

Carrie...that is awesome. It always amazes me to hear children speak in different languages (more than one). I love how they switch back and forth depending on the mood and reason. Good for you and way to go Thomas!

Melita said...

Well done Thomas!! You go ahead and brag mom - I would too!