Thursday, July 10, 2008

BAMBA!

What? What in the world is Bamba? It's a cheese curl, but instead of cheese, it's peanut butter flavored! You read that right: peanut butter flavored cheese curls! They were revolting to me at the outset, but I have to admit, they've grown on me. They are popular here. The word Bamba is part of every young child's vocabulary, though it's techincally the brand name of one company, it's used for all corny, peanut butter curls. Think bandaid. At every turn, someone is handing Georgia Kate bags of Bamba bliss!

The other day while teaching English in the West Bank, Georgia was in the care of one of the staff members at the center. She is normally overfed with all kinds of junk food: chocolate, wafers, chips, sugary sweet juice, etc. I figure she won't die after a day of this. She loves it!

As I excited the class I found Georgia covered in pink juice, chocolate, and crumbs. She proudly held a small bag up to me, and through her slightly orangish, crumby face she shouted, "I have BAMBA!"

But these were no ordinary Bamba. They were TOMATO flavored Bamba! Yum-O! I asked Georgia if I could taste one and she handed it over. What a strange taste...kind of like ketchup. But it was really yummy...or at least I thought so. Georgia agreed.

I bought a bag for the trip back to Jerusalem. And I bought another bag today. Tomato Bamba. Who knew it would be so delicious in such an odd way!

And these are my deep thoughts for the day!

4 comments:

Brynn said...

What the heck?! Ok, I have to ask, what in the world is a cheese curl?! You lost me at that part.

Ketchup flavored anything... ummm, thanks, but I think I'll pass! LOL

~~Carrie Ann said...

Gah! Brynn...Scot told me I should have said "cheese puffs" or "corn puffs" and not cheese curls! :) Does that ring a bell?

Brynn said...

Ok, yep, THOSE I do know! LOL, infact, we're taking some to the lake with us, they are a favorite around my house. I still can't quite wrap my little brain around all the "weird" flavors though. LOL

Sherry said...

Sounds interesting. In my house, it's Flamin' Hot Cheetos. Ugh. I do NOT buy these for my children. Somehow, they manage to get a bag here and there and the evidence is always on their orangey red finger tips. Too funny.