Monday, May 19, 2008

SS Blog Challenge #17: Something small I cherish

We all cherish our families and our homes and many of the bigger things in our lives. . .but what about something small? What is your most prized possession? Is it a picture? Is it a your great great Aunts tea set? Is it a family recipe? Is it something silly or sentimental? Tell us about it and why you value it and what makes it special to you. Please post a picture of the item if you can!

I didn't even hesitate when I read this blog challenge! I knew immediately what I wanted to blog about. A quilt, but not just any quilt. A quilt my Na-na made. I have several of Na-na's quilts. This fact led to an interesting discussion with my younger sister, Reg. She asked how I ended up with so many of Na-na's quilts. I honestly can't remember, but I'm not giving any of them back!

I cherish them all. But this one, in particular, is one of my most prized possessions. Na-na pieced this together when she was pregnant with my mother sometime in late 1951 or early 1952. She never quilted it. She found it again in her attic in the mid-90s and decided it was time to quilt it. Upon finishing it, she offered it to me. Little did I know how precious this quilt would become. I displayed it in my dorm room and in our home after Scot and I got married. I loved it because it was lovingly pieced together by my Na-na. I loved it because of the story it told. And because Na-na's stitches aren't perfect and I can see part of her in every stitch.

We found out we were coming to live here at the end of 2003. Jerusalem. The quilt had a special place in our first apartment in our new home, once again on display. That was when it hit me. The name of the pattern of this quilt? The Road Around Jerusalem! And here was Na-na's quilt, on display in Jerusalem! This quilt truly is a family treasure!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Reading your blog today gave me chills! How cool is that? What a treasure. Cool that we both blogged about our grandmothers or Nanas for this one, huh? =]

Kaye said...

Gorgeous quilt! No wonder you cherish it.

I have quilts made by my grandmother and by Greg's grandmother. I love them!!