It isn't always easy to work where I work and to see what I see. But there are days, that even in the midst of stress, we see pure joy. Yesterday was one of those days!
I travel to the West Bank every Thursday to give English lessons. This is the highlight of my week. I love teaching! I love my students! Each week I teach two classes in 2 villages.
Yesterday was the commemoration of what is known by Palestinians as The Nakba. It is celebrated as Independence Day by Israelis. Nakba means catastrophe in Arabic. It is not a happy day for Palestinians. Instead of giving into the sadness that can consume them, the staff and volunteers at our community outreach center deep in the Northern West Bank decided to make it a happy day for children. They brought their show, which includes puppets, Debka (traditional Palestinian dance), athletics, acrobatics, and clowns, to a small village. The event was open to the community children, and the place was packed! My goodness...we could not have fit another person into that place!



I was just a bystander for this event because the man who drives me to my English lessons is the manager of the community center. He asked if it was okay if I stayed after my lessons for the children's festival. So, it became an 11 hour work day. No problem! I'm so glad I did stay! There was lots of laughter and smiles! It was precious to see so many kids and their mothers enjoying themselves! And to see that many people turn out for this event...
It is such a privilege to live and work where I do. Some days I want scream for something familiar! Some days I'd give anything to catch the next plane back to the US, where I understand how life works and I can effectively communicate. But most days I thank God for bringing me here. If I can share love and joy with the Palestinian people, then any sacrifice I might be called on to make is worth it! You just can not put a price tag on that!
No comments:
Post a Comment