Thursday, May 1, 2008

Today's adventures with Georgia Kate!

She was napping in my bed, which she does when her brothers and sisters are home from school, since they share a bedroom. When she wakes up, she opens the door and calls for me. Not today. Today was different.

Today, she locked the bedroom door from the inside. And the door opens to the inside, so the hinges are on the inside. There is no way to open the door from the outside without the key. And the key was on the inside.

Ever try reasoning with a slightly grumpy 2 1/2 year old? She kept saying she couldn't get the key out of the lock and that she couldn't turn the key. Over and over again she said, "Mama, open the door!" She had her binky and her lovey and plopped herself down on the floor next to the door, refusing to move or try anything to help the situation.

We discussed oth
er options. Unfortunately, there was no way to get in from the window because there are iron bars on the outside of our windows. After about 15 minutes of increasing frustration, Scot decided he would try to drill the brass lock into pieces and see what happened.

Meanwhile I'm rolling around on the floor near the d
oor trying everything I knew to bribe Georgia to try to open the door. Hugs, kisses, ice cream, pizza, cartoons. At one point she began to throw all of our shoes at the door one by one every time I tried to ask her a question. "Mama, open the door!" she shouted.

Oh, in the middle of all this chaos, she began to cry because she had to use the potty. If you recall, she just potty trained this past weekend. Less than a week. Poor kid. She was wearing a pull-up and she finally just had to go. She cried.

Scot got the drill out. Georgia is terrified of the sound of the drill, so I knew this was not going to be pretty. I managed to convince her to get away from the door and sit on the bed near my
pillow. Scot started to drill and Georgia Kate proceeded to cry and scream at the top of her lungs. "Mama! Help me! Stop that noise! Mama I want to come out!"

He got the lock core out, but still couldn't open the door. We finally decided that he was going to have to try to break the door down. She'd been in there for 30 minutes alone and it just wasn't safe.

What were the other 3 kids doing? Maggie, our 7 year old, was hysterical as only a melodramatic 7 year old girl can be. She was sobbing because sh
e said she was worried Georgia might die in there. They were told to stay in their room, so they stood as close to the door as humanly possible without leaving their room and watched. Smart kids. They had been threatened about leaving their room, and they could clearly see that Mama and Daddy were not in the mood for a discussion.

Scot thrust himself into the door over and over again. It looked really painful. It was also kind of exciting. I've never seen anyone in real life break down a door like this! It was like something out of a movie! Now, he's a big, strong guy, but it took a lot of force. Finally, the door frame splintered and the door opened!

And Georgia Kate was sitting on my pillow smiling. "You got me out! You opened the door!" And she was off and running.

Scot has spent the last hour trying to salvage the door frame and the door. We thought we might have to replace everything. He managed to save the door and the frame . We need new trim and a new lock. Not too bad.

Later, Scot began calculating how much Georgia cost us today. I told him he has to factor in emotional damage too!


While I'm frustrated at the outcome, I was really
scared when she was stuck in there. That was not a fun 30 minutes of my life!

What a kid. Oh...and I did take pictures

1 comment:

Traci said...

Carrie Ann I think you have one of the coolest blogs.. and I have to say I couldn't stop giggling at this post. It's always been my fear that Aidan will lock me out, especially of the car.