"Lack of a feeling of happiness in the home can result in debilitating lethargy and depression, so put the things you love into your house, and keep it as though it were the home you've always wanted." -Stanley Sherman
TO DO:
Get out your camera and walk around your house. Take pictures of items that make YOU happy. What make your house YOU.
Take as many or as little photos as you want. Then share them on your blog. That way we can get a little glimpse into your personality and what makes you happy in your home.
What makes me happy in my home? I loved this challenge because I've been suffering from a little bit of wishIwasinmyoldapartment-itis. We've been living in this wonderful apartment for 8+ months now, but I still find myself thinking about the old place with its lovingly painted cappuccino walls and the kids' rooms painted in the colors they chose. I loved that place. I loved the layout. It was comfortable and great for hosting overnight guests.
But our new apartment is a wonderful blessing from God. It's big and spacious and inviting. And this blog challenge reminded me that I can call anywhere home as long as my family is with me. There are a few things that can easily move with us from place to place that make me feel at home. Afterall, in 11 1/2 years of marriage Scot and I have lived in 7 different houses.
First, my fantastic trio! The Bodum press, the cappuccino maker, and the coffee grinder. Almost every morning (and sometimes for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up) Scot makes us our coffee. In the summer it's iced coffee, and in the cold winter months it's hot. I love my coffee!
Next is my laptop. I love my computer! I love being connected to family and friends and the rest of the world! Some days I spend waaaay too much time online. Others I barely have time to check my e-mail. But knowing the world is just a click away makes me feel better!
This is my scrapbooking mess...er...desk. I thought, "Maybe I should tidy up before I show the blog world!" But then I realized that I'm a clutter person. I breed clutter. I try to fight it, but it usually wins. So, you want to see the real me? Then you've gotta take a little clutter. Ironic that in the midst of the chaos, the magazine heading says, "Get Organized!" I love scrapbooking. It's relaxing and creatively satisfying to me. I enjoy sitting at this desk, even when it's messy. Hey, I can just shift some things around!
This is our Visit Palestine poster. It's a copy of an old tourism promotional poster dated 1938, I think. Perhaps it's a little political statement. You can decide. :) But I love this picture. It makes me feel at home...
My piano. I don't play nearly as much as I'd like to. But just seeing the piano and knowing I can sit down, forget about the world for a few minutes and play and sing 'til my heart's content makes me feel peaceful somehow. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for forcing me to stick with it all those years. It's a gift I treasure now.
Finally, my very favorite thing in our home: the picture wall! I love to sit and look at these pictures of our kids from the past 9 years. We take them once a year and sometimes together at Christmas to sit for a portrait picture. Nothing fancy...just something that captures a moment in time. I love to see how the kids have grown and changed, and I love to share these pictures with others. It took us a few months to hang them in this apartment. It literally stressed me out. Finally, to save my own sanity, we took the time to measure and hang. They are a little crooked, mostly because tiny fingers get a little too close! But I don't mind. The kids feel like celebrities and they enjoy standing and staring at this wall too. It lends itself to question asking and stories of days gone by. These pictures brighten my day!
3 comments:
I laughed at the fact that we both started with our coffee makers. =] I especially love your picture wall. I love the way you talk about your family with so much love!
Awe, that's me in those pics on your scrap table floatin in the dead sea!!! I'm ready for another trip! But until then, I'm excited that you will be home soon!!!
Fun! This was a great idea - I need to giv eit a try! :)
Post a Comment